Manning Hall, the original site of the University’s law school, served during the first Foodworkers’ Strike in 1969 as a social counter-space and place of respite for the strikers and their supporters from the picket lines and violence from police. In the front lobby of the building, the foodworkers organized an alternative “soul cafeteria,” serving fried chicken and french fries to the boycotters of the dining halls in exchange for contributions to the strike.
Space Use: Academic
Spatial Organizing Approach: Creation
Date Created: 1923
Campus Space: Lenoir Hall and Manning Hall
Citation: Interview with Ashley Davis by Russ Rymer, 12 April 1974, E-0062 in the Southern Oral History Program Collection (#4007), Southern Historical Collection, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.