When the first Black students desegregated the University in the summer of 1951, the four male law students lived on an entirely separate floor of Steele Building, at the time a residence hall. Forty-five years later, Steele Building played another role in racial justice movements when Students Seeking Historical Truth identified it as one in a number of buildings on the campus named to honor slave-owners and white supremacists.
Organization: Students Seeking Historical Truth
Space Use: Administrative
Spatial Organizing Approach: Contestation
Date Created: 1921
Campus Space: South Campus
Citation: Saunders Hall Anti-Klan decoration, presentation, and speak-out, October 1999 in the John Kenyon Chapman Papers #5441, Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.