Saunders Hall

Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes, 1920

Document Description: In the early spring semester of 2015, Blanche Brown, a member of the Real Silent Sam Coalition, found in the 1920 meeting minutes of the University’s Board of Trustees conclusive proof that the Board had named Saunders Hall in honor William Saunders, not in spite of his activities in the Ku Klux Klan, but because of them. When the Board of Trustees renamed Saunders Hall in 2015, members of the Board cited this document as the motivating factor in their vote to rename the building.

Organization: Real Silent Sam Coalition

Date: 4/14/1920

Document Type: Meeting Minutes

Creator: UNC-Chapel Hill Board of Trustees

Document Collection: Board of Trustees of the University of North Carolina Records #40001

Campus Space: Saunders Hall

Citation: Minutes, Oversize Volume SV-40001/12 (p. 234), in the Board of Trustees of the University of North Carolina Records #40001, University Archives, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.